Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

"El Desierto Pintado"








March 21, 2010

We drove along Oak Creek Canyon on Hwy 89A after leaving Sedona.  There are 12 miles or so that have been deemed a “scenic byway” and for good reason. The creek itself is the scene for many natural “water slides,” a series of long stretches of flat, smooth red rocks that become “slides” for happy campers who can cope with the chilly temps of the water. Eventually, we arrived at Flagstaff and hooked up with Hwy 40 East, a main artery that parallels the old “Route 66.” The highway is nearly straight and flat with few variations, although you end up going from 6,000 feet to 5,000 feet and back to 6,400 feet while hardly noticing when you arrive in Gallup, NM. Along the way we stopped at the Petrified Forest in Northeast Arizona and spent about an hour enjoying the sights.  Later, we continued on to Gallup and checked in to the USA RV Park which is on the Navajo Reservation.  Tomorrow we are bound for Cortez, CO, and plan to spend two days enjoying Mesa Verde, another indigenous Puebloan/Anasazi historical site.
There are pictures of the “Painted Desert,”  Puebloan ruins dating from 1250 (a “Kiva” was a ceremonially house),  and “teepees” or rock formations that resemble teepees.

1 comment:

  1. The sweet pungent scent of sage brush caressed my nostrils as I stepped out the door. The ground at my feet a deep sienna ocean and a lone hawk called overhead warning us that this was his home and we are only allowed visiting rights if we promised to move on within a day. Could the Lord's imagination have any boundries?As I reached down to touch the red soil my mind stumbled and I realized that it had all just been a momentary glimpse at the world that you are in right now and that I am simply still sitting at my computer just getting lost in your photos ~ Ah but for that moment I was there with you.

    Hola ~ We are so completely spoiled by this wonderful blog you have invited us all to share. I look forward to checking my computer each night to see what new adventure I get to be part of ~ thank you again for letting us savor of these beautiful sights and stories.

    ReplyDelete